Saturday, March 14, 2009

Books at naptime

Lately for naps and bedtime, I’ve been reading Jade to sleep. It used to be children’s books with lots of pictures, but those piqued her interest too much and they were just too short. She’d want to read the same one over and over. Yeah, I hid those books under the bed.

Now I read ‘adult reading level’ novels aloud to her while she lies there next to me and I simply bore her to sleep, while I can actually enjoy the content I am reading. I did, however, let her pick the books out. I went to the library with her in the stroller and I slowly pushed her through the aisles and let her pull randomly from the shelves, accepting whatever she chose for me.

I have read three of them over the course of the last month’s naptimes. The first one was about a woman’s struggle during South American liberation in the 17/1800’s. It was alright. I thought it was a good book after I finished. I picked up the second one, based on a family’s struggles in Poland and its war for independence in the late 1700’s. This was such a good book - twice as good as the previous one. I’d even keep reading well after Jade fell asleep most days. The last book I read was about a family’s personal struggle in the late 1800’s in Indian Territory in America. This book was so good. It was one of the best books I’ve read in a very long time. I would take Jade to bed WAY before she was ready just because I was looking forward to reading this one so much.

I could not believe that Jade had picked these out. I mean, I’ve read some crappy books, and forced myself through them, finding flaws and incohesiveness, lack of plot, awkwardness, etc. However, these books were very emotionally engaging and well written. I think she is going to be my new book-picker-outer from now on.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet! And what a novel idea (no pun intended :)) I think I have read my fair share of toddler tales! Great Blog.

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete