Friday, March 27, 2009

City Style

Although I was raised in the country and can appreciate nature in all its splendor, there's something about a city's beauty that often catches me standing there staring up at the buildings with all of their windows and lines, intrigued by the geometric patterns they create. I love how each neighborhood within a city has its own personality and a skyline strikes familiarity to those who call it home. Today, I'm not featuring different fashion styles you'd find in cities all over the world, but rather the cities themselves that you'll find within the fashion. I searched http://www.etsy,com/ and came across a few of my favorites.
This screenprinted t-shirt depicts a hand drawn cityscape full of creative abstract lines, checkers, swirls, zig-zags and dots. The Chicago based artist also mentions, "by buying [this] tshirt, you will be helping provide education, food, friendship and teachers to kids in the low-income, underserved neighborhood of Humboldt Park."
You can find this shirt at http://www.lauraprentice.etsy.com/ along with a shop full of creativity worth checking out!
And why not tote your goods around in this tribute to the spectacular city of Melbourne!? The artist was inspired by and made this tote from a linen monotone print kitchen tea towel she picked up in her travels. You can find this elongated, sturdy tote at http://www.mishimoudesigns.etsy.com/ .
Fit your cash, checks and miscellaneous cards into this stylish 'Buildings' pocketbook/checkbook holder, "made with an original, hand-silkscreened design of NYC buildings on indigo/purple fabric(outer) and caramel brown and dark brown colored vinyl (inner)." This wallet is just one of many fresh designs you'll find at http://www.quietdoing.etsy.com/ .

Using one of my favorite color combinations, this yellow t-shirt features a grey screenprint design of a bridge found in Long Island City, New York. The artist also offers this design in crème, white, grass, hot pink, red, black and lavender. You can find this shirt and other manually printed t-shirts at http://www.airscreenprints.etsy.com/.

Step out in these city-stylish custom drawn canvas flats. The artist also takes custom orders and can create shoes based on your ideas and her talent. View a shop full of happy feet at www.RibbonsAndPlanets.etsy.com where you can select a design of the artist's, or find inspiration to have her create your own perfect pair, tailored to your taste.
I love the inspiration which these artists found in their urban surroundings: abstract, hand drawn, detailed, bold, graphic, and simple architectural renditions of their cities, meant to be worn proudly.
Remember to buy handmade!
You can view my shop at www.arthiel.etsy.com

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I so miss Berlin! I think you are absolutely correct about the different neighborhoods and such. Great items here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great t-shirt! I lived in the city for 2 years going to college - that was enough for me. Neighbors were just a bit to close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were just so many cool items to choose from on etsy.com. Search the keyword 'city' and you'll see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two things I love..hand drawn art in black & white and a product that gives back. Awesome post.

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first shirt has such fun details when you look at it closely. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree..and it's totally awesome that the bag and wallet match :)

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yellow bridge screenprinted shirt! I think the color really makes the bridge stand out! Although I think it would look awesome in the red too!

    danunepthys(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that shirt would look good in many diff. colors..and they would still match the shoes too.

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete