Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fashion Can Tell a Story: Appliqué Skirts

Fashion can tell a story, or at least create conversation. I have been constantly drawn to pieces that stand out from your normal department store style that anybody can have 'one in every color' in their closets at home. My latest search is for skirts that have appliqué designs, particularly handmade (etsy.com is fantastic for this). I came across this one at http://www.phunkypatches.etsy.com/ and fell in love with the mountainous design. "This wrap skirt is made for a plus sized girl... I appliqued a large mountain scene with a log home, mountains, hills and trees...The appliques are hand drawn." The artist speaks of her design in a brief description, but the beautiful scenery she has handcrafted on this mountain home wrap skirt is worth 1000 words, or at least a great conversation!

If I were to wear this skirt, I'd pair it with a simple fitted grey cotton t-shirt with a bright red scarf tucked in on itself snuggly around my neck. I'd accessorize with some chunky tan and brown wooden bangles to pull out the colors in the center. Purple peep-toe pumps would complete the look for a fashionable edge.


This fancy silk skirt on the right can be made custom in all sizes and colors. I personally love the colors shown in the display picture, but the artist has a few suggestions of her own. "I think red and robins egg blue, black with cream , ice blue and yellow and any other combination would look beautiful!" Hmmm, certainly don't forget about the newest rage of moss green and powder blue. I found this one at http://www.janebonbon.etsy.com/ and discovered a whole shop full of exciting pieces.

I would like to see this skirt in these colors paired with a soft, feminine silky blouse in a deep coral color, or even bright yellow, with maybe a fluttery collar, belted at the waist with a wide dark brown leather belt. I'd keep accessories to a minimum, perhaps some retro yellow ball earrings, and a smart watch, but really go larger than life with ultra-bright coral or yellow [depending on the top] strappy heels or flats. Carry a simple brown leather clutch.


This fabulous 'Squeeze' eco-friendly hemp tencel wrap skirt is by far one of my favorite handmade fashion finds. You can see this and a beautiful collection of other eco-friendly handcrafted clothing and accessories at http://www.jenniferjoycreative.etsy.com/ . Unfortunatley, if you don't act fast, you might miss out! "This is the last of its kind as I am retiring this design...Snatch it up while you can!"

I can see this skirt worn in a professional setting with a cream colored cropped blazer and some sage-green wedges. Add a lemon colored headband and you're ready to go! On the other hand, wear it with a simple yellow cotton tank-top and a pair of sandals, pack your favorite books and mags into your slouchy brown hobo, and off to the coffeeshop you go to not only catch up on your reading, but catch a few eyes as well!

Whatever stories you are interested in telling, there's no denying that your fashion sense speaks volumes about the 'you' you're trying to present to the world. So get creative and put on some conversation starters!

And remember to buy handmade.
You can view my shop at http://www.arthiel.etsy.com/

4 comments:

  1. This is nice!
    I love the last wrap skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love the silk skirt, what talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finds!

    Jess
    http://CLineCreations.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These skirts are very creative..I love the second one. I think it would be awesome in a darker hue however. Pale colors and my red hair/skin tone don't mingle well!

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete