Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Striking Color Combo - Golden Rose and Hints of Periwinkle

I was riding my bike around the neighborhood, keeping my eyes peeled to nature, hoping to come across something of inspiration. Most of what I saw was the color of decaying leaves laying on the grey sidewalk and street. It was inspirational, but not in the glamorous sense. I turned down a street I'd never before ventured upon and was all of a sudden struck by exactly what I sought. A house that was painted a creamy gold with just a touch of rose undertones was surrounded by this overgrowth of periwinkle colored flowers and it gave me insight to styling this next look.

Because I had something very specific in mind, I searched http://www.etsy.com/ high and low for particular handmade items that were specific to the look I was going for. This dress couldn't have fit more precisely. This 'Golden Rose' chiffon dress's deep plunging neckline accentuated with ruffling and a single chiffon rose at the center of the waistline sets the look of sexy, yet sweet. You can find this dress at http://www.clairelafaye.etsy.com/ along with the sweetest selection of romantic-glamorous designs.

Because there is so much going on around the neckline, there is no need for a necklace. However, the accessories are what will make this color combination work just perfectly. I'll start by adding this Blue Chalcedony faceted oval 'Twilight' bracelet that was inspired by "the diffused light from the sky during the early evening or early morning." You can find this piece of jewelry at http://www.thepeachtree.etsy.com/ along with pages of a simply stunning collection from the Brooklyn based artist who offers custom creations as well.



A loose upswept bun or a high ponytail to pull the hair away from the face and ears will show off these bright periwinkle accents. "Vintage beads in a fresh, summery periwinkle swing from sterling posts. Sure to make you smile. They dangle just about 1 1/2 inches from the top of the post" creating just a touch of movement that's sure to catch a look or two! You can find these 'Dimples' earrings at http://www.cindiek.etsy.com/ along with several other fun-funky-fresh finds.

Now, for shoes, I want to wear a pair of simple nude, cream or gold-toned heels . All of the focus needs to stay on the fun dress details and beautiful accent colors. Which leads us to the real punch factor. This 5 pocket Okinawa sheep skin bag in periwinkle/cobalt blue just thrills me to see paired with the soft creamy gold of the dress. This Boston based artist will blow your mind with her handcrafted leather goods found at www.valhallabrooklyn.etsy.com , including this bag, which is lined with Japanese cotton in a black and red fugu fish print.

I love when pieces that don't necessarily match can be put together to form a cohesive look that is simply stunning and captivating. I am almost positive that whoever landscaped and painted that house would never imagine that such a beautiful look could not only be inspired by it, but possibly blend right in as well!
Remember to buy handmade!
You can visit my shop at www.arthiel.etsy.com




4 comments:

  1. What an incredibly inspiring post! I love how well you're able to tell a story, adding the visuals of the items you've found. I'm honored you've included my bracelet in your vision! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bracelet! The muted color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of these have sold already! I hope the artists decide to make more like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the periwinkle jewelry is beautiful and I love the handbag too..

    Gwenn (iluvmygrlz@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete